Friday, October 31, 2014

2014 70.3 Worlds, Eh!

7 Sept 2014-
Coming off of a decent 3 weeks of back-back-back racing in July/August, I was looking forward to getting settled back into Boulder and put in solid work. I was able to get 4 weeks in before departing for 70.3 Worlds, and was really happy with how those weeks went. I got in a few big 5-6hr rides with close to 8K feet of climbing, and felt great on all of those rides. The swimming was coming along quite well and swimming with the masters group at Rally Sport was really helping my swim. 

We traveled up to Canada on Thursday and then drove two hours from the airport to Mont Tremblant. It was absolutely beautiful once we got into the country side and I was really looking forward to seeing what Mont Tremblant. Mont Tremblant did not disappoint, it was stunning. Made me wish I lived out in the North East in the summers so that I could head up there and train. Unfortunately with the move or England I don't think I will be back there anytime soon. Hopefully one day I can head back over there to race again. 

Swim- 27:52

I got a pretty good start, it was a little rough the first 400m but then it cleared up a bit and I found some good feet here and there. At the turn buoy about half way through a guy came around me and I got on his feet and stayed there until the exit of the swim. It was quite a long run from Swim exit to T1, and once there I decided to put knee warmers on as it was in the low 50s. I also put on some gloves and already had toe covers on my shoes. 

Bike- 2:11:32

I was quite surprised to get out on the bike and see a lot of packs. Since I started about mid way through all of the waves I had quite a few people ahead of me on the course.  I stayed to the left and slowly started passing people. Once out onto the freeway the packs were even bigger and I was quite disappointed. I passed the groups a few times but then they would pass me back. When that would happen I would just go to the back and sit 7 meters off hoping for a draft marshall to show up. 

I only saw two marshalls throughout the day, one at 30K and another at 70K. In between the 30K and 70K point I would ride by groups and I started using a new tactic. Rather than yelling at athletes for drafting I would look over at them and say "Watch out a motto is coming a motto is coming". Then just ride by them. They would sit up, soft pedal, grab their brakes. It was ridiculous to see how blatant some of the people were drafting, especially for a world championship. The worse part is the penalty tents were empty and penalties were not being given out.

The hardest part of the course was the last 20K and I knew that going into the race. I had pre ridden it on Friday because I thought I made a crucial error of not being able to switch my cassette and I was stuck with an 11-23. Looking back I think it turned out to be a "great mistake" and it forced me to ride that section a little harder than I would have normally and helped move me up in the age group.  

Just before entering T2 I saw my wife and she told me I was sitting in 5th or 6th (I was actually in 5th). 

Run- 1:23:24

The run course was quite hilly so I settled into a comfortable pace and just tried to stay consistent.  Around mile 3 a group of 3 guys ran by me like I was standing still. I let them go and didn't try to run with them. I stopped once for a short pee break but other than that I felt really good. I thought I had a bit left in the tank with about 5K to go so I picked up the pace and tried to push on through the final hills. 

I felt really good on the run and actually negative split the run, so was really happy with that. 

Overall I was really happy with how the day went. Not quite the placing that I wanted. I was shooting for a top 5 in my Age Group, but ended up 9th. I was more pleased with being 18th Overall and with having the 3rd fastest amateur bike split (really 2nd, as the fastest is a convicted doper/x-pro cyclist that should not be allowed in our sport.)
Thanks to TrainingPeaks for doing a great analysis of my race, you can read about it here: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/ironman-70-3-world-championship-age-group-analysis

Huge thanks to everyone that has continued to support my journey in this sport. My wife has been by my side these last 2 years and continues to believe in me and has been a great supporter of my goals. Without her support this wouldn't be possible, as having a strong "team" in your corner is a huge key to success in this sport. 

Along with her, I would like to think my family, friends and my coach, Scott DeFilippis who has been not only a coach but a great friend and mentor over the last 4 years.   Lastly, but very important, all of the companies that have been standing behind me and supporting me the last few years. Thanks to: FRS Healthy Energy, Honey Stinger, Kiwami, HED Cycling, Zoot, Arundel Bike Products, Clever Training, ISM Saddles, and Team RWB for all of the continued support!
 The greatest race sherpa ever!
 Coming down the final hill
 Ryan McCready and Brett King, two awesome guys and great friends!

1 comment:

Emi said...

It's bad that if no penalties are given out, people just go ahead and do what's wrong.