Tuesday, April 12, 2011

2011 TDK Preview

12 Apr 2011- Well I mentioned in my previous blog that I will be racing in the 2011 Tour de Korea "Special" Division. This is the amateur division of the TDK, but is still a 9 day stage race like the pros, just a little shorter each day. I will be racing on Team Storck/Rapha out of Seoul. Our team is comprised of both Koreans and Foreigners. We have 4 Americans on the team, myself, John, Nathan and Richard. We also have an Irish fella, Peter "Honey Badger" Tuhoy and a South African Elmer "The Flying Ostrich" Pieterse. We are still working on nicknames for everyone else, but Elmer got his because of his tiny little Ostrich legs and Peter because we found a funny YouTube Video about the "Honey Badger" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg) and how "It don't give a shit" and "Its a Bad Ass". For the Korean guys we have: A former Olympian who is now 50+ and kicks my ass, Mr. Lee , Jin Ok. Pablo who is the Storck Store Owner and also owns all the Harley Davidson shops in Korea. Chae and Kaiden, both who weigh nothing and fly up the hills. There is also Chris, who is a Pro Golfer and great cyclist, and finally the mystery men who I have yet to meet, some young guys and one "sprinter" who apparently has calfs bigger than my quads put together. Now a little bit about the race: 9 Stages Total Distance 854.9K Longest Stage 129.6K Shortest Stage 47.7K Prize Money? YES KOM? YES Some of you know that I have only been around the sport for a mere 3 years. This June will mark a complete 3 years since I have been competing. I have never done a "bike race" other than the 2 hill climbs. I have a lot to learn over the next 9 days, is a stage race ideal? NO! I look at it as I will have to learn quick to be successful, but I feel that I am in some great shape right now and can help the team out in the overall standing. I am not going into this race for myself to get recognized on the podium, I look forward to being the work horse that brings my fellow teammates that have been focusing purely on cycling to the podium. We have a very talented team and I believe we are already targeted by some of the other teams. I am super stoked about his and am really looking forward to my first road race/stage race! I have been fortunate enough to get the time off of work to participate in this race and am really looking forward to it. I have consulted with my coach and we both agree it is not the best idea as I will not be able to swim for 10 days, but I do plan on running here and there. I look at it as 10 days to focus on just training/racing and recovering. You can't really ask for much more. I will come off of these 9 days with a once in a life time experience and have seen parts of Korea some people will never see and make some great friends throughout the trip. I know going into this that it is a risk, but I take risk everyday going out for a run or a ride. You never know what is going to happen, so seize the moment and take advantage of the opportunities that are placed in front of you. If you want more information about the race check out the site: www.tourdekorea.or.kr. If you are in Korea the easiest stage to come watch from Osan/Seoul will be on April 24th in Seoul, it finishes at Olympic Park. Shoot me an email if you are interested and I can send you details on how to get up there.
Chris (The Pro Golfer)

Myself, Richard, Pablo, John

The Prize Money, 1,000W=1USD, close enough. So yeah $10,000 USD to WIN the team GC.

The Schedule

The Map.........

No comments: