Monday, December 23, 2013

Better Late than Never: Getting Hitched and Athlete of the Year

22 December-

Better late than never, so figured I should share some exciting news.  I got married on September 25th in Ft Worth, Texas in the local court house to the love of my life, Hila.  We will be having a small family ceremony in the fall of 2014 if all goes as planned with my departure from the Air Force and with her upcoming move from Japan.  Only time will tell where life will take us, but we are both excited for the journey ahead of us :)

 At the Court House after our ceremony.

 In Vegas post 70.3 World Champs

In other news, not as exciting, but pretty exciting, AF Sports just announced the 2012, yes 2012, Male and Female Athlete of the Year.  A good friend and former training partner of mine, Elissa Ballas was announced as the Female Athlete of the Year and I was selected as the Male Athlete of the Year.  I had slowly been climbing the ladder towards this award and still thought I wasn't quite there for 2012.  The selection board thought otherwise and I am humbled to be selected for this award.  I had previously been selected at the base level in 2009-2010 and in 2011 I was selected for Pacific Air Force.

I was notified about the award from Elissa, who I had just spoke with about 8 hours prior.  We were catching up on life and were both confused about some emails we received from AF Sports the week prior. Neither of us thought we were going to be selected for athlete of the year, but earlier that morning she was calling me to tell me the news.  I was pretty out of it and didn't know it was her at first and then when she said "Brad we both won Athlete of the Year", I realized who it was.  I am proud of the accomplishment, but even better is to be selected with a great friend and training partner as the female winner.

Here is the link to the page on AF Sports: http://www.usafsports.com/AthleteoftheYear.htm

Back at Incirlik in 2010.  Elissa and the "guys"

No comments: